Triple Vanilla Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- For filling: In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, vanilla sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using your fingertips, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly and no lumps remain. Set aside.
- For dough: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup (50 grams) vanilla sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Add 1 cup (240 grams) cold cream and vanilla extract, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out dough onto a sheet of parchment paper. Divide dough in half (about 311 grams each), and roll each half into a round. Cover with a second sheet of parchment paper, and press each half into a 6½-inch disk. Remove top sheet of parchment. Press filling into center of one disk of dough, leaving a ¼-inch border on all sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 teaspoon (5 grams) cold cream. Brush egg wash onto edges of dough. Top with second disk of dough, and press around edges to seal. (Final product should be 6½ inches in diameter and 1 inch high.) Cover and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 6 wedges. Place at least 1 inch apart on prepared pan. Brush with egg wash, and top with remaining 1½ tablespoons (18 grams) vanilla sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cream, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add reserved vanilla bean seeds, and whisk until evenly distributed. Use immediately. Drizzle glaze over cooled scones.