- Preheat the oven to 160⁰C.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean, then cut the bean into 2cm pieces.
- Combine the vanilla seeds and curry powder and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Rub mixture into the duck legs. Heat a frying pan over a low heat, add the oil, onions and garlic. Cook gently for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft. Place in a casserole dish. Increase the heat and brown the duck legs on both sides. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the diced butternut, tomatoes, hot stock and vanilla bean pieces. Place in the oven and cook for 2 hours until the meat starts to pull away from the bone. Remove the lid from the casserole dish, ½ an hour before the end of cooking to reduce the sauce or make a butter and flour paste and whisk into the hot sauce at the end of cooking.