Everyday Butter Cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C and butter and line 2 x 21cm cake tins with paper.
- Place butter into a stand mixer and beat until butter is softened.
- Add yoghurt, milk, vanilla and eggs and mix until light and airy and well combined.
- Add sugar, flour and baking powder, bicarb soda and salt. Mix until the batter comes together, finishing by hand if needed.
- Divide batter between tins and tap gently to level tops of cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and springing back to the touch. Cool for 15 minutes in the tin before removing from tins.
- Cool completely before finishing cakes as directed.
- Make a roux with the flour and milk by stirring briskly together over a medium heat until thickened. Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pushing plastic down onto surface of mixture. Cool completely.
- Aerate the butter by whipping it with either a hand held beater or in a stand mixer, until it is softened and creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla bean paste and whip again until combined.
- Add cooked and cooled roux mixture and continue to beat for around 2 minutes until very smooth and white. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Use immediately.