Vanilla Bean Lemon Curd
- 3 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 113g butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp Heilala Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1/4 cup double cream
- Shave the zest from your 3 lemons being very careful not to get any of the white pith. Add the lemon zest to the bowl of a food processor along with the sugar. Process until the zest is fine and well mixed together.
- Juice the shaven lemons to create half a cup of lemon juice and strain to ensure no pips or bits are in the juice. Set aside.
Scrape the sugar and zest mixture into to a large mixing bowl and add the butter.
- Cream butter and zest mixture together until light and fluffy. Add eggs in one at a time fully incorporating before adding the next and then stir in lemon juice and salt.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan over a medium-low heat and warm, stirring constantly.
- Add the vanilla bean paste and cream and continue stirring until your mixture begins to thicken just before it starts to simmer. This should take several minutes (you’ll notice when it happens).
- Remove from the heat and cool in the pan.
- Once cooled, scrape evenly into two glass jam jars and seal tightly, your lemon curd should stay good in the fridge for up to a month.