SPEKULATSIUS (Spiced German Biscuits)
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg and combine well. Beat in the molasses and Heilala Vanilla Extract.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together add slowly to the butter mixture making sure to combine well after each addition.
- Separate the dough into two pieces. Flatten and wrap firmly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight to allow the spices to infuse into the dough.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 175˚C.
- Work with one piece at a time, keeping the second piece in the refrigerator until you are ready to use, roll out on a well-floured board to 1 cm thick. Working quickly so the dough does not become too soft, cut with a cookie press or cutter to create the Festive design of your choice.
- Place the biscuits on a lined baking tray and chill until firm again. Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden.
- Cool before removing from the tray. Ice cookies once they are cool
Makes approximately 5 dozen biscuits
Sugar Biscuit Icing
- In a small bowl, stir together icing sugar and milk until smooth. Stir through Heilala Vanilla Syrup and Heilala Spiced Vanilla Extract until smooth and glossy. If Icing is too thick add more Vanilla Syrup.