Lemon Vanilla Cake
- 12 tbsp (170g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 2 tsp Heilala Vanilla Extract or Paste
- Grated zest of 1 lemon and the juice of 1 1/2 lemons
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Melt 4 tbsp (55g) butter and generously brush a 23cm (or any similar size) cake tin with the melted butter and refrigerate for a few minutes.
- Once the butter has hardened brush it again to cover any spots you have missed (this can be done while preparing the cake mix).
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Bring the milk and remaining 8 tbsp (115g) of butter just to a boil in a medium saucepan. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, whip the eggs on medium/high until light and very fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Reduce the speed and add in two cups of the sugar, the vanilla, the lemon zest and the juice of half a lemon.
- On low speed gradually mix in the flour. Pour in the hot milk mixture and add the baking powder, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking stir 1/2 cup sugar with the juice of 1 lemon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Finishing, remove cake from oven and let to cool for five minutes, invert cake onto cooling rack and place rack over baking sheet. Brush the lemon sugar syrup over the warm cake letting the syrup soak in as you go. Cover the cake in plastic wrap until serving.
- Serve with whipped cream, cream fraiche, or Greek yoghurt mix through with vanilla paste to compliment the cake flavours.