Heilala Vanilla Sugar Donuts
Make butter milk using full cream milk;
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp milk warmed to room temperature
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 small egg
1 tsp Heilala vanilla extract
240g plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 litre oil to deep fry
112g Heilala Vanilla Sugar
Heilala Vanilla Syrup
- Pour milk into a small bowl; add vinegar and leave to thicken.
- In a small bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, cream until light.
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Stir into the creamed sugar mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. You may need an extra tablespoon of milk to bind the mixture. The dough should be light and soft.
- Tip onto a floured surface. Roll out to 6mm thickness and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil up in a medium sized saucepan. Watch carefully and don’t over heat. If using a deep fryer, heat to 190°C.
- To cut out the donuts;
- Use a donut cutter OR a large round cutter and small round cutter to cut out the donut shapes. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Fry donuts 2 or 3 at a time into hot oil, cook for 30 seconds, then turn over and cook for a further 30 seconds. The donuts will cook quickly; the small donut balls may be ready in less than a minute. Drain briefly on absorbent paper, roughly brush with Heilala Vanilla Syrup and place into a bowl of vanilla sugar, toss to coat well.
Recipe by: Tracey Sunderland - The Galley
Photo by: Vanessa Lewis