Heilala Vanilla Poached Apple and Raspberry with Sweet Vanilla Crust
Sweet Vanilla Crust
- 225g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 55g Heilala Vanilla Sugar
- 125g butter
- 1 small egg, whisked
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or milk
- 5 cups of peeled, cubed apple (4-5 apples) - Braeburn, Candee and Granny Smith varieties work well
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 110g Heilala Vanilla Sugar
- 1 tbsp Heilala Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup of cornflour, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 Heilala Vanilla Bean
- 1 cup frozen raspberries (or any fresh berries)
- Milk, to glaze
- 2 tbsp Heilala Vanilla Sugar with 1/2 tsp cinnamon to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- In a large bowl, whisk flour and salt together (or pulse in food processor). Cut butter into flour using the back of a fork, incorporating the butter into flour mixture until it is in small pieces. (If using a food processor, pulse at 15-second intervals until butter is finely chopped). Add lemon juice or milk until the mixture comes together. If necessary add more liquid, one tablespoon at a time.
- Tip your dough onto the benchtop and gently push together into a rough flat rectangle. Cover and rest
- For the fruit filling, scrape the seeds from the Vanilla Bean and combine all ingredients, except the raspberries, in a medium-sized pot. Gently stir together, cover with lid and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes or until just cooked. Once cooked set aside to cool slightly.
- Grease a deep baking dish or pie plate with butter.
- Fold the frozen berries through the cooked apple and pour the whole lot into the prepared dish.
- Roll out your rested vanilla crust dough to approximately 1cm thickness, then using a 4-5cm diameter cookie cutter, cut out enough circles or hearts to cover your dish. Place each cut-out on top of the fruit and overlap to cover the filling. Brush with a little milk and sprinkle over the Heilala Vanilla Sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes until the crust is lightly golden.
- Serve while still hot with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Photography – Vanessa Lewis