Coconut Grape Bread
- 1 ¼ cups warm water
- 2 ½ tsp dried yeast
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp Heilala Vanilla Extract or Heilala Vanilla Paste
- Pinch flaky salt
- 300g seedless black or red grapes
- Icing sugar for dusting
- For best results, make flatbread in a warm, draught-free kitchen. Once cooked your flatbread should not be higher than 2.5-3cm.
- Pour ¼ cup warm water into a small bowl and sprinkle over the yeast. Leave until yeast begins to froth, about 5 minutes.
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Pour in yeast mixture and remaining warm water and mix to form a dough. Rub a little of the measured softened coconut oil over the dough and turn over to prevent a skin forming. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a clean tea towel and place in a warm place to rise until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Melt the coconut oil and leave to cool slightly.
- Beat in the eggs, sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract and salt and mix into the risen dough. The dough will be the consistency of a batter.
- Line a swiss roll tin ( 32cm x 24cm), with baking paper and pour in the dough, pushing it out to fit. Place over the grapes. Cover with a piece of oiled plastic wrap (to prevent sticking), and the tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hour, until it reaches the top of the swiss roll tin.
- After ½ an hour, preheat the oven to 180⁰C.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack and leave to cool a little before dusting with icing sugar and serve warm with coffee.
Heilala Vanilla Paste and extra grated orange zest.