- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp Heilala Vanilla Paste
- 5 large egg yolks
- 12 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place six 3/4 cup ramekins in 1 baking pan. Mix cream, sugar and Heilala Vanilla Paste in heavy medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to simmer.
- Whisk yolks in medium bowl until well blended. Gradually whisk in hot cream mixture just to blend.
- Divide evenly among dishes.
- Pour enough hot water into pans to come halfway up sides of dishes. Carefully transfer pans to oven. Bake custards until almost set in center when pans are gently shaken, about 35 minutes for ramekins.
- Using metal spatula, transfer custards to work surface and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Chill at least 3 hours and up to 2 days. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar evenly over each custard. Working with 1 custard at a time, hold blowtorch so that flame is 2 inches above surface. Direct flame so that sugar melts and browns, about 2 minutes.
- Refrigerate until custards are firm again but topping is still brittle, at least 2 hours but no longer than 4 hours so that topping doesn't soften.