Slow Cooked Beef with Vanilla and Capsicum
- 750g beef stewing steak
- 2 tablespoons each: flour, olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 Heilala Vanilla Bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1/2 teaspoons each: salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 each: red, yellow capsicum, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 160 C
- Cut the beef into large chunks. Place the flour on a plate, add the beef and toss to coat the chunks evenly in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef for 3-4 minutes in batches. Place the beef in a casserole dish. Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Add the cooked onion and garlic to the casserole dish along with the celery, red wine, beef stock and vanilla bean and seeds. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Press a piece of baking paper on the surface of the meat and liquid then cover the casserole dish with a lid. Bake the casserole in a preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Add the capsicum and cook the casserole for 1 hour further, or until the beef is very tender. Serve with soft polenta or mashed potatoes and green vegetables.